food

New York Brunch At Sarabeth's Shinagawa

11:40 PM

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Some seriously heavy-duty cutlery rests


As a dedicated over-sleeper, I'm a big fan of brunch. Even more so when I don't have to cook it myself. Eggs Benedict are a bit of a trend at the moment but I get slightly creeped out by runny egg yolks, so it's not a dish that I would usually order for myself, much less attempt to make. But Sarabeth's was high on my list of places to try in Tokyo and Eggs Benedict is their speciality, so it was definitely a case of when in Rome. 

Sarabeth's is an American brand that started off in New York's Upper East Side, a fact I only mention because I'm still having withdrawal symptoms from Gossip Girl (Chair4eva). So many American (and American-style) breakfast places have opened up in Tokyo in the past couple of years, but they're mostly located in the shopping hubs of Harajuku, Shinjuku and Odaiba. I live in Shinagawa, where what we lack in pancake restaurants, we make up for in cheap rent prices! Sarabeth's actually has a branch in Shinagawa station, making it very convenient for airport and shinkansen travellers. 




Four Flowers Juice

After waiting in line for around ten minutes (I've never seen Sarabeth's without a queue outside, but that's typical Japan) Alanna and I were seated. We were told that our table was ours for a limited time (I think it was ninety minutes) which could be irritating but we still found it more than enough. It's also hard to lounge about and soak up the atmosphere when you know there's a line of hungry people waiting outside!

We started off with a glass of Four Flowers juice, containing orange, banana, pineapple and pomegranate. It not only tasted good, it tasted healthy. I felt proud of myself just for drinking it!


Classic Eggs Benedict




My first time trying this dish was a pleasant surprise


The food arrived soon after and my first impression was "great plate presentation but the eggs look rubbery". Are they supposed to look like that? I still don't know. But at least the bacon portion was generous and that was my main priority! As for the eggs... Well, if you've had Eggs Benedict before then you might laugh at my surprise, but I was NOT expecting a river of runny yolk to spurt out upon slicing it. I was a bit put-off but persevered in the spirit of adventure.

In the end, I was won over. I still find the sight of egg yolk a little sickening, so it still isn't a dish I would attempt to make myself. But even egg-phobes should give Sarabeth's a try. The meal was light but filling and each ingredient tasted delicious, regardless of the recipe. Since it's close by and trendy, I intend on revisiting the restaurant to try more of their dishes. I'm not overly-keen on eating Eggs Benedict again but I'll never say no to brunch.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I don't often like eggs but that looks so good! :O


    SAMI★SPOON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah there's definitely something kind of yucky about eggs buuuuuuuut I can make an exception here!

      Delete