style

Horror-Kei

12:50 AM


Horror onna.

Recently, a drama called Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge was popular here in Japan.

I liked the main female character because she always dressed in strange, creepy clothes.

She was no goth-loli-wannabe-Halloween-queen, she was a "horror onna" - horror woman.

The recurrence of skull motifs in the drama had a strange effect on me.

My previous cute, feminine style has been eroded by a new-found desire for skulls!



This ring is a handmade original, or so I was told.

I got it in the shop I recommended before, Bunkaya Zakkaten.

It's big and pretty heavy, so not something you could wear easily.

However, it's a nice statement piece that adds a bit of jazz to a simple outfit.



That's a lot to put on one tiny ring.

Currently, I like to wear this with gold high-tops, black wet-look leggings from River Island and a white Zara t-shirt with a big diamante skull on the front.

Is there a horror trend? I don't think so.

Maybe I can start it.



I still can't work out what the things on the sides are.

Is anyone else wearing a horror style right now?

I find it quite refreshing to go against the florals and denims.

Horror-kei power!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. "I find it quite refreshing to go against the florals and denims."

    I AGREE SO MUCH!
    I'm already bored of florals and denims. Every store I get in feels like my sister's closet and I DO NOT WANT to dress like my sister!
    *sigh*
    Let's start an Horror-Kei together! (or plain rockish style will be fine too! hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love those rings! i just discovered your blog, I'm so into all things jap! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool jewerly! I watched Yamande, but still couldn't finish it! I really must do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched YNSH the anime... I find the drama waaaaaaaaay different but it's still a good watch. The ring does look fancy it will definitely grab attentionwhat would you wear it with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a horror trend, it's called Guro! Check for it! there is also Eroguro ~ ♥♥♥ I think you might enjoy it! I sure do!

    And I love love the ring ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its a great idea to mix hard and soft accessories (hard=horror in this case^^)

    My friend Sakie Gantz just made me a bracelet with beautiful stone and a skull, I like the mix of girly and scary personally^^

    Statement jewelry is so awesome, this ring is just great and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiramisu - vive la revolution! But we should establish some guidelines, right? We need to distinguish ourselves from the Goth look. I consider Goth to have it's own labels and trends. Horror should be about corrupting the trends of other styles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saving Capulet - Welcome to my blog! It's still a new blog, but I'm glad you like it. If there is anything from Japan that you want to see on here, don't hesitate to let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanh Thao - Well, like every drama it has its ups and downs. I really liked it though. Sunako was so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rayelle - Ooh, I must check out the anime. I guess it must have a lighter tone? My favourite way to wear this ring is with gold high-tops, black wet-look leggings from River Island and a white Zara t-shirt with a big diamante skull on the front. But sometimes I wear it with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandra - If it comes in pink - thank you! Embrace the horror!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emmelie ♥ - but guro seems very lolita orientated, no? I see horror-kei as being more mainstream, like gal fashion. Just with a crazy twist! That's just my interpretation though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shop N' Chomp - Thank you, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. さらまり - Wow, that bracelet is amazing! It's exactly the kind of idea I had in mind for horror-kei. Yay!

    ReplyDelete