food

Christmas Cake At Afternoon Tea

9:57 AM

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

The Festive Menu.

I met a lot of my extended family over the Christmas break and they all wanted to know about life in Japan. One question they all asked was about food, 
"is it just raw fish all the time?"
I suppose when most people think about Japan, they think of sushi. But not me. When I think of Japan, I think of....cake! Cake, glorious cake!

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

Christmas promotional set, including a cute badge of your choice.

Regular readers of this blog will know that I am a cake-addict (don't lie, I know you are too). There are countless cafes and cakeries in Sendai, but Afternoon Tea is one of my favourites. What it lacks in variety, it makes up for in quality.

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

I can't resist limited items.

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

Which one would you choose?

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

The limited cake sampler set.

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

Our choices.

As part of the holiday festivities, any customer who ordered the Christmas Sweets Plate could choose from a selection of kawaii badges. A completely random but nice gesture. It was so hard to pick just one but I went for the turquoise cross because I can wear it all year round. 

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

Afternoon Tea: Haven of ladies who lunch.

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

I love getting the jam-style sweetener in a little glass jug.

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

Love at first sight.

afternoon tea, japan, cake, christmas

Pure perfection.

Of course, the cakes were truly delicious. Japanese cakes can be a little over-sweet sometimes, but they are wonderful when balanced with a good tea of an appropriate strength. And as for the presentation - wow. These were exceptionally beautiful. I know it's January and everyone is starting their healthy eating regimes, but could you really give up cake?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Yuuuum, looks delish! Does it offer anything else other than cakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also have scones and a pasta dish or two. Mainly it has lots of delicious herbal teas <3

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! I am also a cake lover, even more than cookies :) Great photos!

    FashionEdible

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES i know exactly what youre talking about, my friends always think of raw fish when i say japan. people dont realize how goood japanese baked goods are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, people think we eat sushi 24/7 here! I wish, haha

      Delete
  4. Cake!! I love Japanese desserts and I love the consistency of Asian cakes, so light and fluffy- but yes probably a bit too sweet sometimes. Hope you've had a lovely time back at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a great time! Totally calorific though, no more cake for me!

      Delete