event

Halloween Fashion and Food

9:00 PM



Happy post-Halloween!

I can't believe it's November already. This year has been so fragmented that it barely seems to have started yet. It's almost time to start making plans for New Years, when I'll probably maintain my fine tradition of doing nothing!

Halloween 2013 in Tokyo was spectacular. For about one week the night-time streets were full of zombies, Pokemon and sexy-[insert respected profession here]. Most of the big parties took place on the weekend before the 31st during which, as fate would have it, I was stuck in bed with a nasty cold. So most of my "Halloween in Tokyo" experience came from Twitter and fashion snaps. Lucky me!


Kyary with a witch's nose

All was not lost though, on Halloween night my classmate hosted a party in his swanky Shinjuku bachelor pad. Since I was only going to dress up once I didn't think it was worth buying a costume this year and half of my wardrobe is still in storage because of moving house. So I ran home after class and threw on anything thing that looked vaguely kawaii or colourful.  

I ended up in neon-floral-lacy mix that, for lack of a better idea, I called Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.


I didn't MEAN to hog the spotlight...


...but I couldn't seem to stop, even when taking a "couple" picture.



The guests at the party were a mix of language school students, their Japanese friends and lovers, and an interesting mix of people who somehow found their way there. I randomly met one girl from Sendai who shared some common friends with me. We had one of those "it's a small world" moments that I never expected to have in Tokyo of all places.

One of the highlights of the night was learning the traditional American game "beer pong". I hate beer and have poor aim so I didn't fare very well. Fortunately my opposition was equally bad so we soon abandoned the game for our trusty Mojitos!



Last-minute Kyary costume part one

  • Floral headband: SPINNS (Harajuku)
  • Vintage Levi's denim jacket: Zool Tatouage (Koenji)
  • Pink lace cropped top: Nozomi Ishiguro (GARDEN, Sendai)
  • Neon vest: Topshop (Dublin)
  • Bag: Vivienne Westwood (Harvey Nichols, Dublin)
  • Eyeball brooch and ring: SPINNS (Harajuku)
  • Pink necklace: Titty & Co. (Shibuya 109)



Last-minute Kyary costume part two

  • White lace skirt: W.C. (Shibuya)
  • Pink lace shorts: Nozomi Ishiguro (GARDEN, Sendai)
  • Two-tone leggings: Monomania (Laforet, Harajuku)
  • Boots: ECCO (Dublin)





I was so tempted to try this but I wasn't a resident (or a small child)

Most of us left in time to catch the last subway. I had a presentation on Friday morning to prepare for so there was no all-nighter for me. As we left I started taking random pictures of the apartment block because it was damn fancy and so beautiful. My friend lives on the 29th floor, over-looking Shinjuku Central Park and the view of the city lights at night was breathtaking.


The luxurious lobby




And even more fabulous public lounge



Even the outside had an impeccably designed garden


The bright lights of Shinjuku





The best thing about Halloween 2013


 If I'm perfectly honest though, this ↑ was my favourite part of Halloween. I found this delicious 五目寿司(ごもくずし、gomokuzushi) onigiri (technically it's an "omusubi" but whatever) at Family Mart. I've never seen it before and it wasn't available in every shop, but it was heaven. It's basically sushi rice with omelette and vegetables mixed in. It wasn't very seasonal in terms of Halloween though. I'll probably have to wait a whole year for it to be released again so this is my mini-tribute. 

Thank you random Halloween onigiri



You Might Also Like

0 comments